Monday, January 30, 2012

Creating New Ideas: Brainstorming.


I spent this weekend with my 11-year-old twins, Abby and Josh (Friday and Saturday at least). My husband and younger son, Daniel were away camping.
The kids didn’t have school on Friday, so we went to Disneyland for the whole day, a perk of living in Southern California! We then spent all Saturday relaxing-believe me-we needed it! Abby’s basketball game was cancelled so we actually had the whole day to hang out. We had no plans. They called a couple of friends, who were busy, so it was just the three of us. We did some homework (aawh, Mom) and went to some stores, one of them Toy-R-Us, and then went out to dinner. It actually felt a little strange not having our usual hundreds of things to do.
At dinner we talked a lot, especially Abby and I, because Josh was completely engrossed in a book (Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer-he tells me the series is awesome. Guess what books I’m reading next!).
We talked about my new story idea and we began to brainstorm-
I love to brainstorm. 
Abby started to remember more details of one of my bedtime stories. That’s where this new book idea was first born about six months ago. Then the ball started rolling and the ideas started flowing, what fun!
New ideas, new plans, so exciting to create with my kids!
Josh actually put his book down and got involved in the brainstorming. We thought up with some intricate and fantastic ideas. A trilogy was discovered. We uncovered new plots and problems. It was incredible.
So, now I sit and write, armed with the napkin full of ideas in Abby’s beautifully neat printing, with enriched energy to write, and the knowledge that my kids love what I am doing.
My “Mom pride” is overflowing and I know in my heart that my writing is not only helping me follow my dreams and create; it’s also showing the kids, and their friends, that no matter how hard, you must work, carry on, and even fail at first, in order to fulfill a goal.
I hope it’s also allowing their individual creativity to be nurtured and grow.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all. 
Edward de Bono

Happy Monday! Have a wonderful week.
Enjoy creating, brainstorming, and being with the people you love,

Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment